• Quick-Serv License Center
  • 125 3rd Avenue North
  • South St. Paul, MN 55075
  • 651-552-7603
  • Open M-F 8-5 PM
South St. Paul Municipal Building

Quick-Serv License Center Customer Answer Center
Click on the Desired Information Station Below

quick-serv license center

All of us at Quick-Serv License Center stand ready to help you! Customer service is the most important aspect of our company. Just click on any of the areas above to receive information. If you need additional information, please call our Customer Service Hotline 651-552-7603.


* New residents have 60 days after becoming a resident in Minnesota to obtain a Minnesota license or permit if they have a valid driver’s license or instruction permit from another state.

* New residents have 30 days to obtain a Minnesota license after moving to Minnesota if they have a valid commercial driver’s license from another state.

If the person works for the United States Armed Forces or are a family member of someone in the Armed Forces stationed in Minnesota and hold a valid out-of-state driver’s license the person does not need to obtain a Minnesota license.

ID Residency Document
DL / ID Fees
ID Requirements – Spanish

There are four classes of driver’s licenses and several endorsements available to Minnesota drivers. Information about the license class and any endorsements or restrictions should appear on the back of the driver’s license.

A brief description of the different license classes and endorsements:
Most common license for Minnesota drivers.

With a Class D driver’s license, driver may operate:

  • All single-unit vehicles (cars and pickup trucks), except those with a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, vehicles designed to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), and vehicles that carry hazardous materials.
  • Any farm truck, if you are the owner of the truck, an immediate family member of the owner, a full-time employee of the owner (within 150 miles of the farm), or a temporary, harvest-time employee of the owner (transporting agricultural products from the farm site to any location within 50 miles).
  • Operating an authorized emergency vehicle whether or not in excess of 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
  • Recreational equipment (motor homes and camping trailers) as defined in Minn. Stat. 168.002, subd. 27, operated for the driver’s personal use.
  • A towed vehicle with the combined gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less.
  • Motorized bicycles.
  • Motorcycles, with the appropriate license endorsement.

License Endorsements:

Driver must have an endorsement on license in order to drive motorcycles, buses, school buses, double and triple trailers, tank vehicles, and if driver will carry hazardous materials. All endorsements require additional knowledge tests. Bus, school bus, and motorcycle endorsements require specialized road tests.

Commercial Driver’s Licenses

CDL Self-Certification: Just the Facts
Commercial Driver Medical Self-Certification Form
CDL Self-Certification FAQ’s

Class A, B and C licenses are called commercial driver’s licenses (CDL). A CDL allows a driver to drive all Class D vehicles, in addition to certain types of vehicles included in each driver’s license class.

Class C License
With a hazardous materials endorsement, a Class C license holder may transport hazardous materials in a Class D vehicle. With a school bus and passenger endorsement, the holder may operate a school bus or bus designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

Class B License
A Class B license, with necessary endorsements, allows the holder to operate all class C and D vehicles and all other single-unit vehicles.
The holder of a Class B license may only tow vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class A License
With appropriate endorsements, a Class A license is valid for any vehicle or trailer combination.

Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) For Persons Under 21 Years of Age:

Minnesota residents under 21 years of age may obtain a CDL. The license will carry specific restrictions. For more information about CDLs and CDL requirements, review the Minnesota Dept. of Public Safety Minnesota Commercial Driver’s Manual.

Note: If a driver operates any class of vehicle as an employer or employee, they may be subject to commercial motor carrier requirements. These requirements may apply to single unit and combination vehicles of more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (such as construction vehicles), vehicles used to deliver packages and other items, and vehicles designed or used to transport more than eight passengers, including the driver. In order to legally operate these vehicles, a driver may need to possess a valid U. S. Department of Transportation medical examiner’s certificate. They may also be subject to restrictions on the number of hours they drive and to vehicle maintenance and inspection requirements.

Enhanced Drivers Licenses and Enhanced Identification Cards

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses & ID Cards: Just the Facts
Enhanced ID Requirements

Real ID

Real ID FAQs

 Metro Exam Stations
 St Paul – 445 Minnesota Street, St Paul 55101
 Eagan – 2070 Cliff Road, Eagan 55122
 Arden Hills – 5400 Old Highway 8, Arden Hills 55112
 Anoka – 530 West Main Street, Anoka 55303
 Plymouth – 2455 Fernbrook Lane, Plymouth 55447


RESIDENTS and NONRESIDENTS can purchase hunting & fishing licenses, safety certificates, passes, trail stickers, apply for hunting lotteries, enter harvest registration and renew ATV’s, ORV’s, OHM’s, snowmobiles & boats.

A Minnesota resident who is age 21 and over and does not have a current resident customer record on file will not be able to use Minnesota’s online sales system until a resident record has been created. Please bring in the required documentation necessary  to create a customer record.

In order to qualify as a resident, an individual must have maintained a legal residence in the state for at least 60 days prior to applying for or purchasing a license. Anyone 21 years of age or older, must possess a current Minnesota Driver’s License or a current Minnesota Public Safety ID.

Any license purchase requiring special documentation (i.e. social security disability, nonresident students) must visit a license agent or the DNR to purchase the license.



Click photo to go to DNR website.


On this page you will find commonly used forms.  Please feel free to contact us if there is a form that you would like added and we will do our best to accommodate you.

DNR Affidavit of Repossession

DNR Application for Corrected Title/Ownership

DNR Application for Duplicate Watercraft Title

DNR Lien Release

DNR/DVS Off-Highway Motorcycle Dual Registration FAQ

DNR Waterccraft Surviving Spouse / Not Subject to Probate

DNR Watercraft Title Application

Statement of Facts for Watercraft Title

Universal Registration form

DNR Registration and Titling Fees

Watercraft: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

Snowmobile: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/snowmobile/index.html

Hunting: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/hunting/index.html?type=hunting

Fishing: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/fishing/index.html?type=fishing

 OHV: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ohv/index.html

Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not see what you are looking for in our frequently asked questions, please try our search option or call & speak to one of our DMV clerks 8am-5pm M-F.


  1. Wheelage Tax
    • Q: What is wheelage tax and who pays it?
    • A: Wheelage tax is a county tax which must be paid with annual registration fees. This tax is paid if the vehicle is kept in one of the participating counties. Ref. MS163.51
  2. Tech Fee:
    • Q: What is the tech fee for?
    • A: The tech fee also known as the technology surcharge, is a 1.00 fee attached to the vehicle registration and driver’s licenses. The fee is charged to support, build and implement the new information system for driver’s license and motor vehicle transactions, MNLARS (Minnesota Licensing and Registration System).
  3. Plate
    • Q: Why a new plate with my tabs? Why am I required to get a new plate?
    • A: Plates on passenger vehicles must be replaced every 7 years at time of registration renewal. This does not apply to one ton trucks or miscellaneous classes.
  4. Gifting
    • A: Who can I gift a vehicle to?
    • Q: The state of MN allows gifting of a vehicle between the following: Husband/Wife, Parent/Child, Grandparent/Grandchild, Foster Parent/Foster Child, Guardian/Ward. If your trasnfer does not fall under this, sales tax is most likely due.
  5. Payment
    • Q: What payment methods do you accept?
    • A: We accept Checks, Cash, Money Orders and Credit Cards including Visa, Mastercard and Discover. If paying by credit card, the credit card company charges a 2.45% convenience fee on your payment. (i.e: $100.00 car tab purchase would be charged $2.45 in convenience fee for total amount of $102.45).
  6. Hours and Location
    • Q: Where are you located and what are your hours?
    • A: We are located in the lower level of the City Hall in South St. Paul, MN. Our physical address is:

    125 3rd Ave N
    South St. Paul, MN 55075
    We are open M-F, 8a-5p

  7. Payment by Phone
    • Q: Do you accept payment by phone?
    • A: No we cannot.
  8. Who Pays
    • Q: Can someone else pay for the transaction?
    • A: Yes, the payee must have a valid photo ID to verify identify and signature.
  9. Valid Credit Cards
    • Q: Do I need a physical card to pay by credit card?
    • A: Yes, the credit card must be present at time of transaction.
  10. Credit Card processing
    • Q: What is the processing time on the credit card?
    • A: 24 hours.




First Name

Last Name

Street Address 1

Street Address 2


Zip Code


Daytime Phone

Evening Phone

Your Email (required)


Translate »